The Inventor Education Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves?

3 posters

Go down

What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves? Empty What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves?

Post  Jim DeBetta Wed 2 Mar 2011 - 14:23

Many people ask me how many products actually become successful...how many actually get landed on the big retailer's shelves. The answer, sadly, is just a percent or two. There are many reasons why. A few are: inventors are often not educated on how to call on buyers and what to say to them, the product packaging is not well done and so the buyer gets turned off and rejects the product, and unfortunately there is only so much room on those shelves that only a small percentage of great products can gain placement.

You have to keep working hard all the time and always look to refine your sales pitch and learn what buyers need from you to consider your product.

Questions anyone?

Jim
Jim DeBetta
Jim DeBetta

http://www.jimdebetta.com

Back to top Go down

What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves? Empty Re: What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves?

Post  Mark Reyland Thu 3 Mar 2011 - 1:08

You bring up a very good point Jim - Inventors often think many more "products" actually make it than really do. Even teh pros fail at a rate much higher than they win.

I have found one really important tool you need is a good sell sheet - maybe we can get some folks to post examples of retail buyer sell sheets here so others can see what they look like.

Mark
Mark Reyland
Mark Reyland
Admin

http://www.uiausa.org

Back to top Go down

What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves? Empty Selling to retailers....are you up to speed?

Post  Jim DeBetta Thu 3 Mar 2011 - 9:50

Yes Mark....is there a good place here to post sell sheets? I have many of them and would be happy to post a few. The other point you made is also true that even us (who have been doing this for many years) have a high failure rate. It is just not easy no matter who you are but the big thing about working with pros is that they up your chances quite a bit. It always comes down to inventors recognizing their strengths and weaknesses and reaching out to those that have skills and knowledge they don't and getting the help they need. As a general rule I always seek out help from those that know more than me as I don't want to ever waste time doing something that will ultimately slow me down or cost me more money in the end.....

Jim
Jim DeBetta
Jim DeBetta

http://www.jimdebetta.com

Back to top Go down

What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves? Empty Re: What percentage of products actually reach the store shelves?

Post  Mark Reyland Thu 3 Mar 2011 - 10:17

Sure, just start a thread of "sell sheet examples" and insert them as an image. That should work. I'll dig some up as well and I know Roger has some for licensing.

It may be a good way to show the functional differences of a Sell Sheet designed for use with a retailer and one designed to use in licensing to a manufacturer
Mark Reyland
Mark Reyland
Admin

http://www.uiausa.org

Back to top Go down

Post  miclejay Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 4:00

ventors are often not educated on how to call on buyers and what to say to them, the product packaging is not well done and so the buyer gets turned off and rejects the product, and unfortunately there is only so much room on those shelves that only a sma

miclejay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum