The Inventor Education Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does PPA protect my Idea for 1 year? Is it public record?

4 posters

Go down

Does PPA protect my Idea for 1 year? Is it public record?  Empty Does PPA protect my Idea for 1 year? Is it public record?

Post  Boorasc Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 15:18

Ok I know I sound like everyone else in the world, but I have been researching this site
freepatentsonline.com
looking for anything close to the product I have thought of for Respiratory Therapy and cant find anything yet and I see thousands of products, I just keep narrowing down with different possible wordings and still nothing. Is this a good place to search?

My questions are:
Where do I file a PPA?
Does it protect my idea for 1 year
Is my filing/Idea public record so that somebody else can see what i am filing and act on it?
Thank You

Boorasc

Back to top Go down

Does PPA protect my Idea for 1 year? Is it public record?  Empty Re: Does PPA protect my Idea for 1 year? Is it public record?

Post  michaelneustel Sat 22 Sep 2012 - 14:01

Hi Boorasc,

I will do my best to answer your questions since it doesn't appear anyone has answered them yet.

1. You can file your provisional patent application online at the USPTO website. You will need to prepare your provisional patent application using Patent It Yourself or a software product like my PatentWizard Provisional Patent Software (this forum doesn't let new members post links so I am unable to give you links at this time to the USPTO pages).

2. A provisional patent application does not really "protect" an invention - it merely provides "patent pending". Only a granted patent provides protection for an invention.

3. Your provisional patent application, the filing date and serial number are all kept confidential at the USPTO.

I wish you the best.

Michael Neustel
U.S. Patent Attorney

michaelneustel

Back to top Go down

Does PPA protect my Idea for 1 year? Is it public record?  Empty Re: Does PPA protect my Idea for 1 year? Is it public record?

Post  Tran Mon 24 Sep 2012 - 21:13

You can file your PPA with the USPTO. I would recommend the use of tools such as ProvisionalBuilder(R) from PowerPatent (www.powerpatent.com). It was developed with guidance from the UIA and has a number of features that are not available in conventional template based tools. The software will deliver you to the right spot for efiling your PPA. Yes, the PPA is good for one year, and you must convert to a utility application within the one year period or you may lose valuable rights. The FAQs at www.powerpatent.com has many explanations on the PPA preparation and filing process.
Tran
Tran

http://ipsemantic.com/tranassoc.php

Back to top Go down

Post  blakesq Mon 8 Oct 2012 - 16:47

answers below:

Ok I know I sound like everyone else in the world, but I have been researching this site
freepatentsonline.com
looking for anything close to the product I have thought of for Respiratory Therapy and cant find anything yet and I see thousands of products, I just keep narrowing down with different possible wordings and still nothing. Is this a good place to search?

My questions are:
Where do I file a PPA?

You file a PPA at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Contact a patent attorney.

Does it protect my idea for 1 year

You will have patent pending status for 1 year. And you will have priority over anyone else who files a patent application after you, so long as you file a non-provisional within 1 year.

Is my filing/Idea public record so that somebody else can see what i am filing and act on it?
Thank You

A provisional application only becomes public 18 months after your priority date, assuming you file a nonprovisional within 1 year. If you let your provisional go abandonded, then your provisional application will not go public.

blakesq

http://www.blake-ip.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down