The Inventor Education Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small plastic and metal manufacturers

5 posters

Go down

Small plastic and metal manufacturers Empty Small plastic and metal manufacturers

Post  ohicard Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 14:59

looking for small plastic and metal manuf in n atlanta area. please help!!

ohicard

Back to top Go down

Small plastic and metal manufacturers Empty Re: Small plastic and metal manufacturers

Post  Mark Reyland Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 11:00

Although it’s nice to have people local – in today’s day and age it’s really not that necessary so don’t let geography limit you.

Start with Thomas Register

http://www.thomasnet.com/?cov=NA&heading=0000000&pslpid=0000000&WT.mc_t=PPC&WT.mc_n=mcgoog&WT.sem_engine=mcgoog&WT.sem_keyword=thomas+register&WT.srch=1&WT.z_sem_account=1&mctoken=v4v43576Z3a229725290579955031Z3a758Z3a2Z3aZ3aZ3aZ2d1Z3aZ3a

This is a great place to search manufacturers of all kinds
Mark Reyland
Mark Reyland
Admin

http://www.uiausa.org

Back to top Go down

Small plastic and metal manufacturers Empty Re: Small plastic and metal manufacturers

Post  Lionel99 Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 6:24

The flow characteristic of metal and the molding methods allow for sharper lines and undercuts. Plastic can be forced into finer impressions in the mold with less shrinkage which would permit things like shako plate and buckles to have more detail. Plastic is also is more self supporting (more strength) so muskets and bayonets can be thinner.
The real question is the value per figure. For what you pay do you receive a quality piece? I have taken to the new plastics and like them a lot.
On another posting I placed a couple of photos, one of Perry plastics and one of Foundry metal.
The reason more makers don't do plastics is the tooling cost. A couple of hundred dollars for a mold for the metal vs. thousands for the plastic, plus the injection equipment. The detail can be done in the smaller scales in plastic, the market just isn't there (yet) to support it.

Lionel99

Back to top Go down

Post  sdittman Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 10:27

I think it is important to use a vendor close enough that you can go and see them face to face. With so many shops that are really nothing more than brokers of the work, it is always good to go see the facility and know the people you are entrusting with your future.

I have a plastics manufacturing business and I would rather have a customer come in and we meet in person. Sitting down and discussing a project and going through manufacturing ideas and concepts can save you thousands of dollars in the end. Many times it is as simple as "if you can move this feature on your part to this area your tooling will be $5000 less."

When I have to have work done outside my own shop, I like to see who is doing it. Is is clean and orderly? Is the equipment up to date and well maintained? Or, is there junk piled in every corner and dust covering the equipment?

Scott Dittman
Premier Plastic Molding & Tooling

sdittman

Back to top Go down

Small plastic and metal manufacturers Empty Small plastic and metal manufacturers

Post  Roger Brown Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 11:30

Scott, you are correct. I have thought up products that I envisioned taking 7 parts to make it function and after taking with someone like yourself we were able to reduce it down to 5 parts, saving a lot of time to produce and money cost.
Roger Brown
Roger Brown

http://www.rogerbrown.net    http://www.looking2license.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down